I mentioned previously that I was having an issue with my step-child monitoring system, Zenoss, where the WMI disk counters were not behaving correctly. The disks would be found when the system was modeled (or re-modeled) but they would always show up "bad counter for..", instead of you know, working. My original train of thought was related to the zWinUser and zWinPassword properties that were used to collect WMI stats from all of our Windows boxen. However, I wasn't entirely convinced because we use the same user/password for all of the Windows systems in that domain, and none of the others was exhibiting this behavior. After some more research and a little bit of actively NOT thinking about the problem, I realized that the all of the other WMI events/stats were being pulled just not disks. It turns out you can disable perf counters for disks via the registry in W2k3 server, via this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Perfdisk\Performance\Disable Performance Counters
On my server that was acting up, this was set to 1. I changed the value to 0, and remodeled the device (its Zenoss, I do it everytime I change something) and all my events cleared themselves.
Post a Comment